Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cold and the Biblical Story

The temperature reads 54 degrees. The moisture has frozen to the inside of the windows. The thermometer between the window and the storm window read -2. NOAA.gov goes for -11. It's "freeze your boogers as you walk to the car" cold. 

Which brings me something I've always wondered about: what would the Biblical story and its metaphorical language look like if it had taken place somewhere cold? In the Bible the only mention of anything really cold is the snows of Mt. Harmon. And almost all the references to snow are similes--"as white as snow," or "scattered like snow on a hill." I think we would have references to Christ or God as the everlasting fire that does not go out and keeps you forever warm. And instead of a cloud of locusts, we'd get a mean Alberta Clipper followed by extreme negative temperatures.

1 comment:

  1. That's really interesting hon-
    Makes me think that in Erdrich's novels, her images of frozen bodies and frozen lakes tie pretty easily into more spiritual metaphors--(however, I am NOT rewriting my paper :)
    -mtbt-

    ReplyDelete