Friday, February 24, 2012

Lent Thoughts

Last Wednesday we slide into Lent. Every year Lent seems to creep up on me. I wade through the darkness of January and February, gathering strength for a new year. Then, as the days begin to noticeably lengthen Lent arrives, reminding me of what I am and who I am.

What am I? I am dust, born of the debris of exploding stars, the decayed remains of long ago flowers, and the minerals forged in the heat of the earth. I hold no special place, but like the sparrow or willow tree I was born of this earth and to this earth I shall return.

Who am I? I am a child of God, given life by God to follow Jesus. A spirit resides within me that cannot be so easily vanquished. I am resurrected.

And so Lent reminds me of both. At first it says, remember, dust to dust, ashes to ashes, that is your fate. But then it whispers, look ahead, see the coming dawn, the light on the horizon. For I am dust, but Christ is resurrected and I am with him. And during this season of Lent we hold both our past and our future in our hands.

We are dust, but we are resurrected. The pain is real, but Sunday’s coming. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment